Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Assess This, Mister

I have come into this housing business with a guarded heart. I have wished for it for so long, and knew that it might not turn out as I wish. Yesterday was closing day. Yesterday we found out that the bank assessed the building for a lot less than we were going to pay for it. Yesterday, we managed to negotiate a later closing date to get a second assessment. Yesterday...
I am already learning more about what its like to live in intentional community. I am going to live with beautiful people with beautiful lives who are way different than me. Way different is an exaggeration. Indie rock. Crushes on boys. Christian. Social justice. Etc. Those things are quite similar. The differences are how we relate to indie rock, boys, Jesus, social justice, etc. I need to/choose to guard my heart pretty much all of the time in all situations. I was excited about the house, but I didn't want to talk about it too much, and when I did I liked to frame it with "we don't have it yet, hold your congratulations until closing". My lovely friend Becky, as demonstrated in her last post, loves talking and getting people excited. Thank you, dear Jesus, for making us all different. Thank you for the diversity in our sameness. Thank you for teaching us through each other. Thank you for helping us like different boys. 

No comments: